José M.
José M., Attorney
Experience:  Spanish Attorney
54639574

I had an operation in USP Marbella, for an ovary removal, my

I had an operation in USP Marbella, for an ovary removal, my medical insurance informed them that a ligature was not covered. The hospital did not inform me and charged me 250 euros for this and could not explain what the ligature was, they could have used a different procedure. What can I do to recoup my money. Thank you
Category: Spain Law
Expert:  José M. replied 1 year ago.

José M. :

Hi there

José M. :

José M. spanish attorney

José M. :

You have to read carfully the documents provided for the hospital and see if you have accept a budget or the price of it

José M. :

If you did not notify the hospital that you wait that the cots were paid for your insurance the hospital has not obligation to know your idea so honestly I have to tell you that you have to pay

Customer: Did not get any notification of this procedure or budget, did not know about any money to be paid until I was discharged, then the hospital could not explain the procedure either
José M. :

The problem is that the obligation to inform the hospital was yours. And you were the one to get the information from the insurance first

José M. :

As it has been your mistake, to considerer the operation cobered by the insurance you will have to pay

José M. :

Sorry for that

José M. :

Before to agree with the hospital you had to be sure with the insurance and let the hospital know that in no case you were going to pay a penny

José M. :

Now your position is very bad, you had contract an aperation, it has been made, you do not have a insurance which pay for it, so you will have to pay

José M. :

I would wish to have better news for you, but its impossible to avoid the fact of paying as I see the facts

Customer: I did get authorisation from my medical company and the medical company informed the hospital that the procedure was not covered, and they could have used a different procedure, I also did not know about this procedure until they had performed the operation
José M. :

I know, but the obligation to know if you were cobered by the insurance was yours

José M. :

Sorry again

José M., Attorney
Experience: Spanish Attorney