José M.
José M., Attorney
Experience:  Spanish Attorney
54639574

I am in need of legal advice / assistance. I have been living

I am in need of legal advice / assistance. I have been living in Spain for 2 consecutive years. I have been in a program called "auxiliaire de conversation" I am a USA citizen. I arrived in September of 2011 with a 90 visa and it was converted into a temporary residencia para estudiante. I had an appointment in Jaen this morning to apply for a residencia and work permit I followed all the instructions on-line. I have a contract to teach English at a private academy and have registered at the office of social security. I took all the forms contracts and copies to my appointment. They told me at the office that I could not apply for a recidencia/work permit because I have a Estudiante recidencia. I have been working as a teacher in schools for the past 2 years teaching English Programa de "auxiliaire de conversation". I have researched and can not find any information that says I can not apply temporary recidencia or change my estudiante residencia to a temporary residencia w/ work permit. Can you help me with this?
Category: Spain Law
Expert:  José M. replied 1 year ago.

Attorney3044 :

Hi

Attorney3044 :

I am an spanish attorney

Attorney3044 :

I am sorry to have to tell you that you can no manage here in spain in order to change the visa you got now

Attorney3044 :

You have to go out, come back to the US and manage there in the close rspanish consulate with the work contract you got

Attorney3044 :

Neither you or your employeer could solve the visa as long as you are in Spain

Customer:

but this is considered a break in residencia and I will have to start again with the number of years required for long term residencia

Attorney3044 :

No, its different

Attorney3044 :

In order to get the residncia visa you have to probe 10 years of legal residence in spain

Attorney3044 :

But if you go and come back and probe ten years they will sum both time periods

Customer:

The cost to return to the USA To resolve this issue is great! I'd rather spend my money here in Spain where it is needed

Attorney3044 :

I andertand, but it is the way

Customer:

So can you tell me exactly what I need to do?

Attorney3044 :

To get the contract and manage there, it is the best

Customer:

I have the contract and my social security number and my NIE

Attorney3044 :

Great, but you need to manage since US

Customer:

What do mean by manage? you can say the word in Spanish

Attorney3044 :

debe tramitar desde US

Attorney3044 :

Tramitar el expediente en extranjería

Customer:

ok So I must resolve this matter at the Spanish Embassy in the USA. Completing the process there, and it can not be done here. correct?

Attorney3044 :

Yes. That it is

Attorney3044 :

Its the best way

Customer:

Thank you for your professional advise. As a teacher My professional advise to you is to practice your English more often.

Customer:

have a blessed day

Attorney3044 :

Have a great day

Attorney3044 :

Thank you

Attorney3044 :

I have to improve my english I know :(

Attorney3044 :

Get luck.

Attorney3044 :

I invite you to rate my service positively, if you do not do it the site does not pay the expert

Customer:

You mean good luck! FYI I teach online too OpenEnglish.com Good thing I rate your service and not your english jejeje

Attorney3044 :

Thank you

Attorney3044 :

I will take a look on the site

Customer:

ok! Just practice your English by reading out loud 20 minutes everyday and try to do some practice in writing as well.

José M., Attorney
Experience: Spanish Attorney