José M.
José M., Attorney
Experience:  Spanish Attorney
54639574

Hi, I have received an appointment, at the local council in

Customer Question

Hi, I have received an appointment, at the local council in a village outside of Seviile, to pay a fine for drink driving. The appointment is for Tuesday, very short notice and I am in England.

I would like to know if I have to go in person to pay the fine or whether somebody can take the cash and pay and sign on my behalf or whether I can transfer the money electronically.

A friend went to the local council yesterday to ask if this was possible and the answer was no, I must go in person. But I don't think this council worker will have had experience or will have the knowledge of the law of a foreigner paying a drink driving fine.

Must I go in person? What if I were ill?

Many thanks,

Louise
Category: Spain Law
Expert:  José M. replied 1 year ago.

Attorney3044 :

Hi Sir

Attorney3044 :

I am an spànish attorney

Attorney3044 :

I need to know its the letter comes from the court or fron DGT

Attorney3044 :

Also I need to know how much was alcohol it was the probe

Attorney3044 :

DGT its the spanish trafic road office

Attorney3044 :

It it was under 0.60 alcohol its just a fine you could pay

Attorney3044 :

It it was more than 0.60 you will have to go and you will need an attorney

Attorney3044 :

You can write if you want

Attorney3044 :

If it was more than 0.60 its a criminal ofence and you could make an arregement with the judge in order to get 1/3 of the punishment off

Attorney3044 :

Ussually fine in Spain, for driving over 0.60 its 8 months without the driver licence and 1200/1500 euros fine. Remember its a penalty offence

Attorney3044 :

If you have probes that they were sick and you could probe it you could try not to make an arregment, but if its going to be hard to probe my advice its to make it

Customer :

I have already seetled the punishment! It is 8 months ban and a fine of 800 euros. The letter with the appointment was sent to a friends house inthe village. The letter came from the Jugada de Sevilla, but I must pay the fine at the council in Santiponce as that is where the delito was committed.

Customer :

I want to know if I must go in person to pay the fine at the council or if somebody can pay the fine and sign on my behalf or if I can pay electronically.

Attorney3044 :

Yes Sir

Attorney3044 :

You have to go

Attorney3044 :

You also could send a power of attorney of attorney there in order to recibe the fine and give your drivers licence

Customer :

What if I have a medical certificate saying that I am unfit to travel?

Attorney3044 :

Check an english speakimg attorney there and send him a power of attorney

Attorney3044 :

In order to get the attorney visit this site of the UK consulate

Customer :

So, can I do that if I am not sick - without a medical certificate?

Attorney3044 :

Yes, no problem

Attorney3044 :

You could send the power of attorney and contract the services

Customer :

So, I don't have to go in person? Before, you said I had to go in person! Now are you saying that I don't have to go if I have an abogado with power of attorney?

Customer :

Are you going to answer my last question?

Attorney3044 :

Sure

Attorney3044 :

You can contract an attorney, give him a power of attorney and he could go in your name

Attorney3044 :

Sorry, my conecction was very slow

Customer :

Ok, I will check with the attorney.

Attorney3044 :

Thank you

Attorney3044 :

Please do not forget to rate my service

Customer :

ok

Attorney3044 :

I am sorry you did not like the service

Attorney3044 :

Best regards

Expert:  José M. replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have been banned from driving in Spain, but can I continue to drive in the UK?

Expert:  José M. replied 1 year ago.

The problem becomes if you have to leave your car licence in the court

If they do not ask for it you could drive but ussually they ask for it

The way that the spanish justice have to probe that you do not drive its to ask for your driving licence, so they ussually ask for it

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

there are 2 parts to my UK licence: a plastic card and the paper version. They have the plastic card but I have the paper version. So legally, can I still drive in the UK? Or legally, does the ban in Spain also extend to the UK?

Expert:  José M. replied 1 year ago.

There are a lot of foreing people who lost their driving licences in Spain, they have to leave them here, but they ask for another one in their countries as it has been stolen or missing....

You can no drive in spain, but there are no legal ways to check it in your own country or somewhere alse....

If you leave it here one of them you will have no problems in UK

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Even though there is no way to check am I committing fraud?

Expert:  José M. replied 1 year ago.

Its very comon

Do not worry for it

Even its not a fraud, you can no drive in Spain and you are not going to do it,...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can you confirm that although I am banned from driving in Spain, legally I can drive in the UK? Puede usted confirmar que aunque yo sea prohibido conducir en Espana, legalmente puedo conducir en el Reino Unido?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  José M. replied 1 year ago.

Well Sir

You have got a judicial order in Spain that you can no drive. By now spanish judges has no power to insurance their orders

There are not internationals comunications of judicial orders so the Police in UK it not going to know if you can drive or not because an spanish judge has said you cant

Spanish justice can no follow you in your country if you drive

The value of a law its the punishment in case we broke it, and the spanish judge can no punish you in UK ( By now ) There are no international agreements in this line