Need Spanish Law Help? Ask Spanish Law Questions Online.
I am an spanish attorney, the site do not let me to call you,
I can help you just from this site
Please tell me what can I do for you
I need to know wich visa do you have now and what time have you spent here
Hi. I have just returned to Tenerife and was told at the police station I can stay for 90 days before I have to either leave or get an NIE
My last visit to the island I was here for 9 weeks before I left
I might have lost you not sure
You can stay just for 90 days
hi..thank you for getting back to me
If you want to stay longer you have to ask for extra time two months before your visa expires
This is what I have tried to do. Iwas told I had to fill out the NIE application form, which I did. Take four passport photo. My original passport plus a copy. Original plus copy of proof of pension. and a copy of my current health insurance to the National Police station.
Perfect, so whats the problem ?
National police told me a US passport holder can not have an NIE
NIE its only for person with residence visa
You do not have it
You have a tourist visa
You do not need a NIE
How do I get a residence visa?
and you can no get it
not at all...drat
Do you want to work ? do you need to work?
No sir, I do not want to work. I have a federal pension
ok I see
I want to purchase a car and get private health insurance
So you need a non lucrative visa
You can apply to live in Spain as a retiree, providing you don’t intend to work. To apply for this visa, the following requirements must be submitted to the Embassy in person, and by previous appointment:
• Passport valid for a minimum of six months, along with three photocopies of the personal information and photo page
• Money order for $100 to cover processing charge
• Four recent passport-size pictures
• Original marriage certificate, and a photocopy (if applicable)
• Certificate of good conduct issued by the police department of places where you have lived for six months or more during the past five years, along with a Spanish translation, and one photocopy
• A medical certificate printed on a doctor’s letterhead, verifying that you are free from yellow fever, cholera, and the plague, and drug addiction, and mental illness, along with a translation into Spanish, plus a photocopy
• Original certificate of a public or private institution, stating that you receive a pension, and specifying its monthly amount (the annual minimum is $10,000, increased by $1,700 for each dependant), plus one photocopy
• Proof of any other source of income and/or properties in Spain, plus one photocopy of each document.
Processing your application may take up to six weeks
You do not have to manage in the consulate you could manage it in the foreing office
So would you agree with the National Police that I should just leave every 90 days
Forget about a car and Spanish private health insurance?
No, If you get a non lucrative visa you do not need to leave
You could stay here longer than 90 days
This visa program allows foreigners of means to reside in Spain, without engaging in any type of lucrative activity there. To apply for this visa, you will need to submit the following, in person, and by appointment:
• A passport valid for a minimum of six months, plus three photocopies of the personal information and photo page
• A money order for $100 to cover processing fees
• Four recent passport-size photographs
• Certificate of good conduct issued by the police department of the places where you have lived for at least six months during the past five years
• Original medical certificate printed on a doctor’s letterhead, verifying that you are free from yellow fever, cholera, and the plague, and free from drug addictions, and mental illness, along with a Spanish translation
• Proof of sufficient financial resources (bank accounts, investments, annuities, and any other source of income) totaling a minimum of $75,000 annually
• Proof of medical insurance coverage in Spain
• If you own property in Spain, you must submit the original deed, plus a photocopy. If not, you must submit proof of sufficient financial resources to buy a house in Spain.
It will take approximately five months to process this application.
Here you got all the information in english also
I have read through your post..reads like a catch 22. i need proof of medical insurance coverage in Spain, but can't get Spanish medical insurance without the NIE. Ok....
I will have to sit down and decide what to do next
Follow this link
Thank you very much.
Before we part can you think of anything else I need to know
Please to make a good evaluation of my service ;)
I've been looking at the link that you provided. It appears to me that I can not get an NIE. So I can not get private health insurance nor can I purchase a car. As far as Spain is concern I will need to watch my time spent in country and not stay longer than 90 days at a time. Considering how broke Spain is you would think that they would jump at someone like me. I do not want to work. I will not be a burden to them in any way shape or form. I want to live, spend money and enjoy myself.
No, once you get the non lucrative visa you can get the NIE
You can no get it with a tourist visa
Once you got the residence visa you will got the NIE
It's a catch 22. I can not complete the requirements for the non lucrative visa because I can not purchase private health insurance in Spain without an NIE. Also, after reading the information on the links you have provide, at this time I do not feel like jumping through the Spanish hoops. I will keep with the tourist visa, traveling on and off the island within the 90 day limit. I give up. Spain can keep their NIE and this person who would do anything but input money into their country and not be a negative impact on their service, will not plan on anything else. I am totally frustrated.
I know how you feel
If you do not get the NIE you will lose rights
But you need the insurance to get it.