José M.
José M., Attorney
Experience:  Spanish Attorney
54639574

I am looking for a lawyer in the Amarilla Golf/Pebble Beach

Customer Question

I am looking for a lawyer in the Amarilla Golf/Pebble Beach area of Tenerife Sur who can help me get my NIE. I am an America who would like to stay the winter vice return to Alaska and the deep cold of winter. My Spanish phone number is XXXXX 291 470. Thank you XXXXX (I will run this message through Google translate for a Spanish addition.)

Google translation: Estoy en busca de un abogado en el Amarilla Golf / Pebble Beach zona de Tenerife Sur que puede ayudarme a conseguir mi NIE. Yo soy un Estados Unidos que le gustaría quedarse el regreso a Alaska vice invierno y el frío intenso del invierno. Mi número de teléfono es 652 291 español 470. Gracias XXXXX XXXXX Cunningham. (Voy a correr este mensaje a través de Google Translate para una adición españoles.)
Category: Spain Law
Expert:  José M. replied 1 year ago.

Attorney3044 :

Hi there

Attorney3044 :

I am an spanish attorney, the site do not let me to call you,

Attorney3044 :

I can help you just from this site

Attorney3044 :

Please tell me what can I do for you

Attorney3044 :

I need to know wich visa do you have now and what time have you spent here

Customer :

Hi. I have just returned to Tenerife and was told at the police station I can stay for 90 days before I have to either leave or get an NIE

Customer :

My last visit to the island I was here for 9 weeks before I left

Customer :

I might have lost you not sure

Customer :

Hello???

Attorney3044 :

That right

Attorney3044 :

You can stay just for 90 days

Customer :

hi..thank you for getting back to me

Attorney3044 :

If you want to stay longer you have to ask for extra time two months before your visa expires

Customer :

This is what I have tried to do. Iwas told I had to fill out the NIE application form, which I did. Take four passport photo. My original passport plus a copy. Original plus copy of proof of pension. and a copy of my current health insurance to the National Police station.

Attorney3044 :

Perfect, so whats the problem ?

Customer :

National police told me a US passport holder can not have an NIE

Attorney3044 :

NIE its only for person with residence visa

Attorney3044 :

You do not have it

Attorney3044 :

You have a tourist visa

Attorney3044 :

You do not need a NIE

Customer :

How do I get a residence visa?

Attorney3044 :

and you can no get it

Customer :

not at all...drat

Attorney3044 :

Do you want to work ? do you need to work?

Customer :

No sir, I do not want to work. I have a federal pension

Attorney3044 :

ok I see

Customer :

I want to purchase a car and get private health insurance

Attorney3044 :

So you need a non lucrative visa

Attorney3044 :

Retirement Visa

You can apply to live in Spain as a retiree, providing you don’t intend to work. To apply for this visa, the following requirements must be submitted to the Embassy in person, and by previous appointment:

• Passport valid for a minimum of six months, along with three photocopies of the personal information and photo page

• Money order for $100 to cover processing charge

• Four recent passport-size pictures

• Original marriage certificate, and a photocopy (if applicable)

• Certificate of good conduct issued by the police department of places where you have lived for six months or more during the past five years, along with a Spanish translation, and one photocopy

• A medical certificate printed on a doctor’s letterhead, verifying that you are free from yellow fever, cholera, and the plague, and drug addiction, and mental illness, along with a translation into Spanish, plus a photocopy

• Original certificate of a public or private institution, stating that you receive a pension, and specifying its monthly amount (the annual minimum is $10,000, increased by $1,700 for each dependant), plus one photocopy

• Proof of any other source of income and/or properties in Spain, plus one photocopy of each document.

Processing your application may take up to six weeks

Attorney3044 :

You do not have to manage in the consulate you could manage it in the foreing office

Customer :

So would you agree with the National Police that I should just leave every 90 days

Customer :

Forget about a car and Spanish private health insurance?

Attorney3044 :

No, If you get a non lucrative visa you do not need to leave

Attorney3044 :

You could stay here longer than 90 days

Attorney3044 :

Residence Visa for Non-lucrative Purposes

This visa program allows foreigners of means to reside in Spain, without engaging in any type of lucrative activity there. To apply for this visa, you will need to submit the following, in person, and by appointment:

• A passport valid for a minimum of six months, plus three photocopies of the personal information and photo page

• A money order for $100 to cover processing fees

• Four recent passport-size photographs

• Certificate of good conduct issued by the police department of the places where you have lived for at least six months during the past five years

• Original medical certificate printed on a doctor’s letterhead, verifying that you are free from yellow fever, cholera, and the plague, and free from drug addictions, and mental illness, along with a Spanish translation

• Proof of sufficient financial resources (bank accounts, investments, annuities, and any other source of income) totaling a minimum of $75,000 annually

• Proof of medical insurance coverage in Spain

• If you own property in Spain, you must submit the original deed, plus a photocopy. If not, you must submit proof of sufficient financial resources to buy a house in Spain.

It will take approximately five months to process this application.

Attorney3044 :

Here you got all the information in english also

Customer :

I have read through your post..reads like a catch 22. i need proof of medical insurance coverage in Spain, but can't get Spanish medical insurance without the NIE. Ok....

Customer :

I will have to sit down and decide what to do next

Attorney3044 :

Follow this link

Customer :

Thank you very much.

Attorney3044 :

Thank you

Customer :

Before we part can you think of anything else I need to know

Attorney3044 :

Please to make a good evaluation of my service ;)

Expert:  José M. replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  José M. replied 1 year ago.
Plase do not forget a good evaluation of the service, without it the expert do not get paid. Thak you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I've been looking at the link that you provided. It appears to me that I can not get an NIE. So I can not get private health insurance nor can I purchase a car. As far as Spain is concern I will need to watch my time spent in country and not stay longer than 90 days at a time. Considering how broke Spain is you would think that they would jump at someone like me. I do not want to work. I will not be a burden to them in any way shape or form. I want to live, spend money and enjoy myself.

Expert:  José M. replied 1 year ago.

No, once you get the non lucrative visa you can get the NIE

You can no get it with a tourist visa

Once you got the residence visa you will got the NIE

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It's a catch 22. I can not complete the requirements for the non lucrative visa because I can not purchase private health insurance in Spain without an NIE. Also, after reading the information on the links you have provide, at this time I do not feel like jumping through the Spanish hoops. I will keep with the tourist visa, traveling on and off the island within the 90 day limit. I give up. Spain can keep their NIE and this person who would do anything but input money into their country and not be a negative impact on their service, will not plan on anything else. I am totally frustrated.

Expert:  José M. replied 1 year ago.

I know how you feel

If you do not get the NIE you will lose rights

But you need the insurance to get it.

Thank you