Freddie Lombard
Freddie Lombard, Attorney
Experience:  Practicing attorney and conveyancer with 16 years post article experience.
75614155

I have been employed for seven months, without ever sighing

Customer Question

I have been employed for seven months, without ever sighing an contract of employment. Should I want to resign what would the notice period be?
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: South Africa Law
Expert:  Freddie Lombard replied 8 days ago.

Good morning,

Thank you for your question. I will try to assist you in answering it today but please feel free to ask as many follow up questions as you like until you are 100% satisfied.

The question is not whether you signed any employment contract or not - the question is whether you were in fact employed. You mentioned that you were employed for seven months, therefore in terms of the Basic Conditions of Employment Act (section 37) you must give notice of no less than two weeks if you were employed for more than 6 months but less than one year.

You can read the Act here.

I hope this answered your question.

I know it will take an extra minute of your time to rate my service, but if you do not rate it, I do not get paid by the website so I would really appreciate it if you would be so kind as to rate my service positively. Feel free to ask further question here on this topic at no extra cost if you need more information.

Regards

Expert:  Freddie Lombard replied 7 days ago.

Did you receive my answer?