Freddie Lombard
Freddie Lombard, Attorney
Experience:  Practicing attorney and conveyancer with 16 years post article experience.
75614155

The company is closing the branch i work in. the head office

Customer Question

the company is closing the branch i work in. the head office will continue to run the branch from JHB. What package should i expect
Category: South Africa Law
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Surely i should get more than just one week for every year i have worked? I have been loyal to this company and they have been running for over 20 years now. Can i take them to the CCMA?
Expert:  Freddie Lombard replied 2 months ago.

Good morning Dean,

Thank you for your question. I will try to assist you in answering it today but please feel free to ask as many follow up questions as you like until you are 100% satisfied.

When a company closes a branch it is the same effect as with dismissal for operational requirements, or in lay terms retrenchments.

Assuming that the company has followed all the proper processes as set out in the Labour Relations Act (section 189), you can expect a retrenchment package equal to one week's wage for each completer year (12 months) of service.

I hope this answered your question.

I know it will take an extra minute of your time to rate my service, but if you do not rate it, I do not get paid by the website so I would really appreciate it if you would be so kind as to rate my service positively. Feel free to ask further question here on this topic at no extra cost if you need more information.

Regards