Freddie Lombard
Freddie Lombard, Attorney
Experience:  Practicing attorney and conveyancer with 16 years post article experience.
75614155

My husband wants to relinquish parental rights over our son.

Customer Question

my husband wants to relinquish parental rights over our son. what needs to be done to ensure this takes place and how long does the process take
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: South africa
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: not yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no sorry
Category: South Africa Law
Expert:  Freddie Lombard replied 6 months ago.

Good afternoon,

Thank you for your question. I will try to assist you in answering it today but please feel free to ask as many follow up questions as you like until you are 100% satisfied.

Why does he want to do this?

Is it because he wants to "get rid" of his parental responsibilities (financial) as well?

Regards

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
he wants to relinquish all responsibilities which I have no problem with as I am financially secure and am the primary carer

OK well, it is not as simple as that.

Your child will always have a claim against your husband as his biological father for maintenance, no matter what the father does now in order to relinquish his parental rights.

At best, ***** ***** happen now is that you will agree to not claim maintenance from him, but this does not in any way affect your child's maintenance rights and claims.

Are you still married?

Do you intend to get divorced?

Regards