CaseLaw
CaseLaw, Attorney
Experience:  BCom; LLB; Masters in Law
31036262

In 5 instances a man whom I have been involved with

Customer Question

In 5 instances a man whom I have been involved with romantically has turned my life upside down with empty promises. He is married an each time a divorce was initiated and promises were made to me. Each time he disappeared from the scene without proper explanation or consideration for what affect it may have on me. He promises me the world and then goes back to his family for alway the same reason. I've had to seek counseling through a psychologist since the 1st instance. Can I sue him for mental anguish?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Gosh, it's in South Africa???
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I want him to take accountability for his actions
Category: South Africa Law
Expert:  CaseLaw replied 4 months ago.

Hi there and thank you for your question,

I will try to assist you with your legal question but please feel free to ask as many follow up questions as you like until you are 100% satisfied.

O wow, I'm really sorry to hear about all of this. You should cut your loses and leave this man, and never believe another word that he says! He clearly doesn't have your best interests at heart.

The answer to your question is unfortunately short. No, you can't sue him for his actions and for his breaching all of the various promises that he's made to you, or for the mental anguish that you've suffered. Our courts have never entertained that sort of claim. I don't know what else to tell you. The courts just won't entertain such a claim.

Imagine if they did - you would have tens of thousands of people all claiming that they have suffered hurt because they were dumped by a boyfriend or something like that.

I'm really sorry for how this man has interfered with your life, but the courts won't be able to assist you in ensuring that this man is held accountable for his actions. Perhaps his wife will be able to hold him accountable?

If my answer hasn't answered all of your questions, please send me a REPLY with follow up questions so that I can continue to assist you in this same thread for as long as you need. Let me know if you need more advice - dont just rate my answer as "bad".

If my are HAPPY with my answer then please click one of the STAR ratings or the SMILEY FACES to rate my answer!

Good luck and best regards,

CaseLaw

Expert:  CaseLaw replied 4 months ago.

Hi there again,

I see that you've read my answer and I hope that you understood the answer and that it was useful? If you have a further question please ask it, or if you need clarity on the answer please let me know.

If you're happy that I've answered your question, please leave positive feedback for me.

Regards

CaseLaw

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi thereIn order to prevent him from contacting me again, could I get a restraining order? I am desperate to not have him contact me again, even though he says he wont contact me ever again, he ends up doing so time after time?What can I do?
Expert:  CaseLaw replied 4 months ago.

You can get a restraining order, but that would entail a court application! So maybe that's not your best bet. My advice is to simply block his number on your phone so he can't phone or sms you. Also, you can create an email rule (if you use gmail) to automatically delete all of his emails so that you never even see them. Otherwise simply hang up if he phones you - he will eventually get the message. If you want to go the court route you would need to allege that you are being abused by him, either physically or emotionally, and that you are in a relationship, and that you are worried for your life! It will mean that you must both go to court and argue before the magistrate. I don't think that the magistrate would grant you a restraining order... and I don't think that you should go to court with him!

Good luck and best regards,

CaseLaw