Freddie Lombard
Freddie Lombard, Attorney
Experience:  Practicing attorney and conveyancer with 16 years post article experience.
75614155

I am in the process of finalizing a disability claim which

Customer Question

Hi I am in the process of finalizing a disability claim which has been going on for a year for severe depression and under treatment. A few months ago I started using grugs and need to go to a rehabilitation center for substance abuse and depression. What I would like to know is if this would in any way affect my claim me disclosing this to my insurer or would would it help with regards ***** ***** my disability claim
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: South Africa Law
Expert:  Freddie Lombard replied 19 days ago.

Hi there

Thank you for your question. I will try to assist you in answering it today but please feel free to ask as many follow up questions as you like until you are 100% satisfied.

The only way to know for sure would be to peruse the wording of your policy.

If you only started using drugs after the fact (instituting the disability claim) then it should not be a problem but it might be difficult to prove or disprove when the drug use started and it may cause unnecessary argument and might very well lead to further delays in finalising your claim.

My advise would be to keep it to yourself as far as possible if the use only started afterwards as it might very well give the insurer an escape route.

I hope this answered your question.

I know it will take an extra minute of your time to rate my service, but if you do not rate it, I do not get paid by the website so I would really appreciate it if you would be so kind as to rate my service positively. Feel free to ask further question here on this topic at no extra cost if you need more information.

Regards

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I have been admitted to hospital for depression twice and I had a drug test done in June when admitted which was negative so wouldn't my claim be stronger as my depression could have led to me using substance abuse

You are 100% correct. You just want to avoid further complications or delays.