CaseLaw
CaseLaw, Attorney
Experience:  BCom; LLB; Masters in Law
31036262

What can the Meibc do to a company that is paying current

Customer Question

What can the Meibc do to a company that is paying current and a little of arrears monthly every month
Category: South Africa Law
Expert:  CaseLaw replied 6 months ago.

Hi there,

The MEIBC is a statutory body created under the Labour Relations Act LRA to provide for the co-regulation of stable and productive employment relations in the metal and engineering industries.

The MEIBC is able to negotiate with the company to settle all disputes on behalf of the employees. In this regard the MEIBC has strong powers and can "force" the company to sign an agreement otherwise the workers might strike.

If the MEIBC wants to force the company to agree to a time frame for paying off the arrears - that's good advice.

There should be nothing to stop the company from agreeing. If the company doesn't agree, then the MEIBC must discuss the consequences with the employees - which might be to down tools and strike.

If my answer hasn't answered all of your questions, please send me a REPLY with follow up questions so that I can continue to assist you in this same thread for as long as you need. Let me know if you need more advice - dont just rate my answer as "bad".

If my are HAPPY with my answer then please click one of the STAR ratings or the SMILEY FACES to rate my answer!

Good luck and best regards,

CaseLaw

Expert:  CaseLaw replied 6 months ago.

Hi there again,

I see that you've NOT yet read my answer. Do you still need assistance?

If you have a further questions please can you rate my answers above as positive; and then ask further questions if you need clarity on the answer provided.

Regards

CaseLaw