Barend B.
Barend B., Legal Consultant
Experience:  BLC LLB (Pret) LLM (Augsburg)
20266670

I have a friend who supposedly went to Ghana to purchase

Customer Question

I have a friend who supposedly went to Ghana to purchase some gold they want me to send him $600 because they're short on a shipping I have two certificates shown to me 1 proof ownership of gold 2 certificate of purchase I don't know if this is a scam or if it's legit how do I check the legitimacy are the two documents
JA: Because consumer protection law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Accra Ghana
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Yes it's two separate documents the first document is a certificate of deposit from PISC Provident Insurance & Security Company. It states. This is to certify that Laura Caller is bona fide owner of 250 kilograms
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: the second document is certificate of ownership from Republic of Ghana Ministry of mines Accra Ghana
Category: South Africa Law
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is certificate of deposit is dated October 25th 2016 the certificate of ownership is dated 2510 16
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I just want to know how can I check the legitimacy of the certificates how do I know if they're real or fake
Expert:  Barend B. replied 2 months ago.

Good morning,

Unfortunately I have to tell you it is a scam. This type of scam is prevalent all over Africa, but especially in Ghana. The PISC's business is insurance and not holding gold deposits. Attached find a copy of a certificate from the same company used in another scam. It looks very similar to what you have described. I suggest that you forward your correspondence with these scammers to the authorities.

Regards,

BB