Barend B.
Barend B., Legal Consultant
Experience:  BLC LLB (Pret) LLM (Augsburg)

My fiance's application for her unabridged birth

Customer Question

My fiance's application for her unabridged birth certificate, filled through the SA consulate in Chicago, USA, has gone without response from Home Affairs for 12 months. We have received no notice of any process at all. We would very much appreciate advisement concerning the most assured and expeditious course to obtaining this document. Thank you for your attention.
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: South Africa Law
Expert:  Barend B. replied 22 days ago.

Good day,

I would suggest that you send an e-mail to the e-mail addresses listed here below and explain in as much detail your complaint. The detail should include the date when she submitted her application, if she can remember the person's name who helped her at the Consulate, that person's name, if she received a receipt of her application, scan it and include the scanned copy, and then any other information which may be relevant, her full details.

*****@******.*** (Head Office of Department of Home Affairs)

*****@******.*** (Minister of Home Affairs)

*****@******.*** (Director- General)

*****@******.*** (Deputy Director-General: Civic Services)

Request a response within 7 days. If you receive no response, then I would suggest you send an e-mail to the Leader of the Opposition, Musi Maimane at***@******.*** , in which you ask him to take the matter up, since it is not a good reflection on SA if it takes so long for an unabridged birth certificate.

I have to add that an unabridged birth certificate does take long under normal circumstances, but 12 months are a bit too long.

I hope my suggestions will assist.

Expert:  Barend B. replied 21 days ago.

Good morning,

If you are satisfied with mt answer, kindly give a rating. If you still have follow-up questions, do not hesitate to ask me.