Barend B.
Barend B., Legal Consultant
Experience:  BLC LLB (Pret) LLM (Augsburg)

My Policy number is 952200030. My concern is about the

Customer Question

Sir /MadamI am Vuyelwa Mngomeni my Policy number is###-##-#### My concern is about the Pension money I have received from the Education Department.I started teaching in 1994 as permanent having been worked for the government prior for two years as contract, because of the life threatening issues where I was a teacher in a Location called Harare in Cape Town. I resigned in 2008 but in three months later I got a post in another school. The pension money I received then was R290 000.I have resigned again this year and only received R407, 185 46 only while other teachers whom I started with in 1994 and resigned this year received about R2,000,000 because the Department is saying that I broke my service. My Persal never changed I am still using the same one I got when I started.I am hurt and feel robbed by the department I don't know can you find out for me if this is right, I just felt like challenging this notion, Help meYours truly
Vuyelwa Mngomeni
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: South Africa Law
Expert:  Barend B. replied 20 days ago.

Good evening Sir,

I have dealt with pension funds and provident funds before. If there is an interruption of service, and your pension is paid out, you lose a great deal. The longer your service/employment is uninterrupted, the bigger your pension will be. The fact that you still have the same Persal number is ***** no relevance unfortunately. When you started to work again after 3 months, your pension fund contributions started again at R0.00, instead of at plus minus R300,000. That is why your pension did not grow to the same extent as your co-employees'.

I know this is not the answer you wanted, but unfortunately this is the truth. What you can do, if you haven't done it yet, is to ask them for a full breakdown of the calculation of your pension payout, as well as a full breakdown of your pension payout in 2008, and then take that to an actuary or chartered accountant to verify whether their calculations have been correct. The only obstacle that I see is that an actuary or chartered accountant is going to cost a lot, but that is the only solution I have for you.

Expert:  Barend B. replied 18 days ago.

Good morning,

If you are satisfied with mt answer, kindly give a rating. If you still have follow-up questions, do not hesitate to ask me.