CaseLaw
CaseLaw, Attorney
Experience:  BCom; LLB; Masters in Law
31036262

Can I apply for citizenship with a criminal record?

Customer Question

Category: South Africa Law
Expert:  CaseLaw replied 3 months ago.

Hi there and thank you for your question,

I will try to assist you with your legal question but please feel free to ask as many follow up questions as you like until you are 100% satisfied.

The short answer to your question is YES, you can - but I must tell you that your criminal record will most certainly count against you in your application, unless you can explain in your application why they should ignore the criminal record. e.g. minor offence; political offence; long ago; etc.

If my answer hasn't answered all of your questions, please send me a REPLY with follow up questions so that I can continue to assist you in this same thread for as long as you need. Let me know if you need more advice - dont just rate my answer as "bad".

If my are HAPPY with my answer then please click one of the STAR ratings or the SMILEY FACES to rate my answer!

Good luck and best regards,

CaseLaw

Expert:  CaseLaw replied 2 months ago.

Hi there again,

I see that you've read my answer and I hope that you understood the answer and that it was useful? If you have a further question please ask it, or if you need clarity on the answer please let me know.

If you're happy that I've answered your question, please leave positive feedback for me.

Regards

CaseLaw