CaseLaw
CaseLaw, Attorney
Experience:  BCom; LLB; Masters in Law
31036262

I am currently looking to rent a property in South Africa,

Customer Question

Hi there,
I am currently looking to rent a property in South Africa, could someone please confirm if a work permit is required to secure a rental property please? I am British national, with a research visa.
Category: South Africa Law
Expert:  CaseLaw replied 3 months ago.

Hi there and thank you for your question,

I will try to assist you with your legal question but please feel free to ask as many follow up questions as you like until you are 100% satisfied.

No, strictly speaking a foreigner does NOT require a work permit in order to secure a rental of a property in South Africa. BUT, the landlord / rental agent might have some reservations about how you're going to pay the monthly rental (especially if the lease is a 12 month lease - and not just a 1 month holiday let) and the landlord will then want some "comfort" as to how you are going to finance the rental. e.g. do you have money in SA, or are you going to work here and pay rent from your salary. If it is the later, then they might want to see your work permit to ensure that you are legally allowed to work here. Basically, the landlord is covering his/her bases to ensure that you won't pay rent for 1 month and then just "squat" in the house for the next 6 months - rent free, and then fly back to the UK leaving the landlord with no way to recover his/her damages.

If my answer hasn't answered all of your questions, please send me a REPLY with follow up questions so that I can continue to assist you in this same thread for as long as you need. Let me know if you need more advice - dont just rate my answer as "bad".

If my are HAPPY with my answer then please click one of the STAR ratings or the SMILEY FACES to rate my answer!

Good luck and best regards,

CaseLaw

Expert:  CaseLaw replied 3 months ago.

Hi there again,

I see that you've read my answer and I hope that you understood the answer and that it was useful? If you have a further question please ask it, or if you need clarity on the answer please let me know.

If you're happy that I've answered your question, please leave positive feedback for me.

Regards

CaseLaw