Freddie Lombard
Freddie Lombard, Attorney
Experience:  Practicing attorney and conveyancer with 16 years post article experience.

I am still continuing with the tenant questions I had

Customer Question

I am still continuing with the tenant questions I had before. I asked him for a breakdown of the expenses he incurred in the renovations. The figure he gave is R406791. 79.
He did the renovations initially with the contractor we chose in 2011 for R180000. 00 and he then had renovations done with another contractor without discussing in 2015 for R177492. 79 and there is a few others but the total amounts to the above amount. This means we owe him.
What is your suggestion?
Category: South Africa Law
Expert:  Freddie Lombard replied 3 months ago.

Good morning,

Thank you for your question. I will try to assist you in answering it today but please feel free to ask as many follow up questions as you like until you are 100% satisfied.

I assume that this is following up on an earlier question. If you read the previous answer, then the situation is that you do not necessarily owe him anything. It all depends on what was actually agreed on. According to your previous question, the landlord agreed to set off improvements to the value of R 180 000,00. If that was all that was agreed upon, then any renovations/improvements above that was done without consent of the landlord and consequently, the tenant will have no further claim against the landlord.

Those improvements would be for the benefit of the landlord.

I hope this answered your question.

I know it will take an extra minute of your time to rate my service, but if you do not rate it, I do not get paid by the website so I would really appreciate it if you would be so kind as to rate my service positively. Feel free to ask further question here on this topic at no extra cost if you need more information.

Expert:  Freddie Lombard replied 1 month ago.

Did you receive my post?