CaseLaw, Attorney
Experience:  BCom; LLB; Masters in Law

I bought a property in an estate and today I found out that

Customer Question

I bought a property in an estate and today I found out that the estate manager entered my property without informing me and while I was out, i am very unhappy about this, they are also asking us to fill in a form stating who lives on the property with id numbers, car registrations...I just feel like its a bit of an invasion of privacy?
Category: South Africa Law
Expert:  CaseLaw replied 3 months ago.

Hi there and thank you for your question,

I will try to assist you with your legal question but please feel free to ask as many follow up questions as you like until you are 100% satisfied.

If you are the registered owner of the immovable property, then there is no reason why the estate manager should be allowed to enter your property without your knowledge and consent. You should tell him that he is trespassing, and demand that he never goes onto your property again. If he does, you are within your rights to call the police and have him arrested for trespassing. You can also complain to the Home Owners Association and explain that you don't want the estate manager on your property.

Regarding the forms, I'm afraid that it is normally part of the Estate's rules that you complete that information. It normally forms part of the security of the estate and access control. If you don't like it, then you mustn't buy in the estate. It has, in the past, held to be a valid invasion of your privacy since it is done in order to protect the general population of the estate.

If my answer hasn't answered all of your questions, please send me a REPLY with follow up questions so that I can continue to assist you in this same thread for as long as you need. Let me know if you need more advice - dont just rate my answer as "bad".

If my are HAPPY with my answer then please click one of the STAR ratings or the SMILEY FACES to rate my answer!

Good luck and best regards,

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you so much, I have another question in the constitution it states that we should have a tap for irrigation purposes (there are a few dams on the property) they have not put my tap in and say that it is because the dam is too far away from my property and yet my neighbour accross the road has an irrigation tap how should I proceed with that? and lastly our constitution does not allow us to do short term letting but I really need to do holiday letting because my financial situation has changed and I need the extra income. there is a company on the estate doing holiday letting and I want to be able to do it as well the estate manager is blocking it even though the HOA board has given permission in principle (the estate manager has to draw up the documents). everytime I ask for the information he does not reply to my emails. I feel like am just moaning all the time and the board is going to get tired of seeing my name and not take me seriously?
Expert:  CaseLaw replied 3 months ago.

Hi there,

Do you still need my assistance with the further questions?

If so, please can you accept the proposed offer?

Otherwise, please can you rate my answer?

Thanks so much,