CaseLaw
CaseLaw, Attorney
Experience:  BCom; LLB; Masters in Law
31036262

I want to know if someone keep telling lies about me to

Customer Question

goodday
I want to know if someone keep telling lies about me to other people and it is harming me as person what can I do?
this sounds silly but I have to stop this.
Category: South Africa Law
Expert:  CaseLaw replied 5 months ago.

Hi there and thank you for your question,

I will try to assist you with your legal question but please feel free to ask as many follow up questions as you like until you are 100% satisfied.

If the lies are defamatory in nature (i.e. they make other people think less of you) then you can sue this person for your harm that you have suffered. You'd need to issue a summons and go to court to prove your damages. The judge will then order that person to pay you your damages.

If you want this person to stop the lies, then you can issue a court application in terms whereof you ask the court to interdict the person from spreading more lies. Interdict means to tell them to stop. If they don't stop they will be in breach of a court order and will need to pay you damages. They could also be arrested and thrown into jail for being in contempt of a court order!

Either way, you'll need to go to court and use an attorney to assist you. Perhaps the first step is to hire an attorney and write a letter of demand to tell this person to stop?

I am afraid that I am not allowed to refer you to a specific attorney, however I can suggest that you can locate a suitably qualified attorney in your area who will be able to assist you with your query at www.southafricanlawyer.co.za

If my answer hasn't answered all of your questions, please send me a REPLY with follow up questions so that I can continue to assist you in this same thread for as long as you need. Let me know if you need more advice - dont just rate my answer as "bad".

If my are HAPPY with my answer then please click one of the STAR ratings or the SMILEY FACES to rate my answer!

Good luck and best regards,

CaseLaw

Expert:  CaseLaw replied 4 months ago.

Hi there again,

I see that you've read my answer and I hope that you understood the answer and that it was useful? If you have a further question please ask it, or if you need clarity on the answer please let me know.

If you're happy that I've answered your question, please leave positive feedback for me.

Regards

CaseLaw