CaseLaw, Attorney
Experience:  BCom; LLB; Masters in Law

I bought a vehicle on the 25th January 2016, it came with a

Customer Question

I bought a vehicle on the 25th January 2016, it came with a different radio as to the one in the vehicle they showed me. The radio's Bluetooth does not operate correctly. Have asked for it to be changed to the same as I was shown as that perticular model works but they have said said it cannot be done. Do I have grounds to return the vehicle?
Category: South Africa Law
Expert:  CaseLaw replied 3 months ago.

Hi there and thank you for your question,

I will try to assist you with your legal question but please feel free to ask as many follow up questions as you like until you are 100% satisfied.

Unfortunately in my legal opinion you would NOT have grounds to demand that they change your radio so that it is the same as the demo model car's radio which you were shown. To me, that ground is not sufficient to return the vehicle. If (for example) the engine was the wrong size, or there was an important and material difference then you would have grounds - but not for a radio.

What you would be entitled to do however is to sue the company for a refund of the difference in value of your car with your radio, and the demo model car with its radio. As you can imagine, the difference in value is most probably very small - so it would not be worth it. Maybe R500?

Regarding the returning of the vehicle, again, I don't think that you have grounds to return the vehicle because the bluetooth radio isn't working properly. But you can demand that they fix it! You have rights in the Consumer Protection Act (and the vehicle's warranty) which requires them to fix the radio.

If my answer hasn't answered all of your questions, please send me a REPLY with follow up questions so that I can continue to assist you in this same thread for as long as you need. Let me know if you need more advice - dont just rate my answer as "bad".

If my are HAPPY with my answer then please click one of the STAR ratings or the SMILEY FACES to rate my answer!

Good luck and best regards,