Freddie Lombard
Freddie Lombard, Attorney
Experience:  Practicing attorney and conveyancer with 16 years post article experience.

South african labour law

Customer Question

south african labour law
Category: South Africa Law
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Can I reduce an employees salary or request they resign as company is in debt and cannot afford them anymore. There is also no more work for this employee to do in that area.
Expert:  Freddie Lombard replied 3 months ago.

Good morning,

Thank you for your question. I will try to assist you in answering it today but please feel free to ask as many follow up questions as you like until you are 100% satisfied.

What you are referring to is known as retrenchment or operational requirements. Yes, you can do this, BUT if you do, you have to strictly follow the procedures as laid out in Section 189 of the Labour Relations Act. You can read the CCMA's Code of Good Practice here.

I hope this answered your question.

I know it will take an extra minute of your time to rate my service, but if you do not rate it, I do not get aid by the website so I would really appreciate it if you would be so kind as to rate my service positively. Feel free to ask further question here on this topic at no extra cost if you need more information.

Expert:  Freddie Lombard replied 1 month ago.

Hi there,

I have noticed that you have not yet rated my service and consequently I am not sure if you still need help from me or if you are satisfied.

Please rate my service positively if you are satisfied.

Kind regards