Freddie Lombard
Freddie Lombard, Attorney
Experience:  Practicing attorney and conveyancer with 16 years post article experience.

We have a client that asked us to effect repairs on 2 of his

Customer Question

We have a client that asked us to effect repairs on 2 of his trucks ,he was suppose to pay a 50% deposit for us to start repairs however he asked us to start and even sent us a letter to that effect promising to pay the deposit in the beginning of November 2015 however he failled to do so. After numerous promises and no payment we stopped work and started charging him storage it has now been 7 months and we would like to know the procedure when it comes to selling vehicles to recover expenses. Please can you help
Category: South Africa Law
Expert:  Freddie Lombard replied 5 months ago.

Hi there

Thank you for your question. I will try to assist you in answering it today but please feel free to ask as many follow up questions as you like until you are 100% satisfied.

Unfortunately there is no "magic procedure" or time frame that you can follow before you are entitled to sell the vehicle. You have to institute legal action and issue summons against the debtor for the work you have done as well as storage fees and only after you have obtained judgment against him, you will be able to attach the vehicle in execution and instruct the sheriff of the court to sell it on auction.

From the proceeds of the sale you will be paid for repairs and storage costs.

I hope this answered your question.

I know it will take an extra minute of your time to rate my service, but if you do not rate it, I do not get paid by the website so I would really appreciate it if you would be so kind as to rate my service positively. Feel free to ask further question here on this topic at no extra cost if you need more information.

Expert:  Freddie Lombard replied 4 months ago.

Good afternoon,

This is just a quick note to follow up. Did you find my answer helpful? Is there anything else I can assist you with before you rate the service? Please note that I do not get paid if you do not rate.