Freddie Lombard
Freddie Lombard, Attorney
Experience:  Practicing attorney and conveyancer with 16 years post article experience.

My company currently has 3 shareholders, through a signed shareholder's

Customer Question

My company currently has 3 shareholders, through a signed shareholder's agreement, but no share certificates where issued. One of the director wants to transfer some of his shares to a new shareholder, what process must be followed given that only a shareholder's agreement is in place?
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Lawyer can help you best. Is there anything else the Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: The above is all there is
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: South Africa Law
Expert:  Freddie Lombard replied 5 months ago.

Hi there

Thank you for your question. I will try to assist you in answering it today but please feel free to ask as many follow up questions as you like until you are 100% satisfied.

The share certificates are issued internally, usually by the company accountant. You can simply draft an agreement transferring the shares and then note it in the share register and ask the accountant to issue share certificates for the shareholders.

No formal notification or registration of the shares at CIPC is required.

I hope this answered your question.

I know it will take an extra minute of your time to rate my service, but if you do not rate it, I do not get paid by the website so I would really appreciate it if you would be so kind as to rate my service positively. Feel free to ask further question here on this topic at no extra cost if you need more information.

Expert:  Freddie Lombard replied 4 months ago.

Good afternoon,

This is just a quick note to follow up. Did you find my answer helpful? Is there anything else I can assist you with before you rate the service? Please note that I do not get paid if you do not rate.