CaseLaw
CaseLaw, Attorney
Experience:  BCom; LLB; Masters in Law
31036262

Payment on a public holiday. is the net payment equal to double pay? The shop s

Customer Question

payment for work on a public holiday.
is the net payment equal to double pay?
The shop steward is claiming I should
1) pays a days wages
2) pay double pay in addition to the above for the hours worked.
Category: South Africa Law
Expert:  CaseLaw replied 7 months ago.
Hi there and thank you for your question,I will try to assist you with your legal question but please feel free to ask as many follow up questions as you like until you are 100% satisfied.If you pay wages of R100 on a normal working day during the week, then you would pay R200 on a Public Holiday. i.e. twice the normal wages. It is DEFINITELY NOT the normal wage PLUS twice the normal wages. e.g. R100 plus R200. That's not how it works. Your shop steward is wrong, and you should tell him to speak to somebody at the Department of Labour.e.g. Workers who do not usually work on a Sunday, must get double the normal hourly wage if they are to work on a Sunday. The same thing applies to public holidays.http://www.labourguide.co.za/public-holidaysIf my answer hasn't answered all of your questions, please send me a REPLY with follow up questions so that I can continue to assist you in this same thread for as long as you need. Let me know if you need more advice - dont just rate my answer as "bad".If my are HAPPY with my answer then please click one of the STAR ratings or the SMILEY FACES to rate my answer! Good luck and best regards,CaseLaw
Expert:  CaseLaw replied 7 months ago.
Hi there again,I see that you've read my answer and I hope that you understood the answer and that it was useful? If you have a further question please ask it, or if you need clarity on the answer please let me know.If you're happy that I've answered your question, please leave positive feedback for me.RegardsCaseLaw