Freddie Lombard
Freddie Lombard, Attorney
Experience:  Practicing attorney and conveyancer with 16 years post article experience.

I have been asked to be executor of my mothers estate in her

Customer Question

I have been asked to be executor of my mothers estate in her Will. I am having difficulty with the issue due to fraudulent activity in her Estate. She was a South African businesswoman.
JA: OK. The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: My mother left me as Executor of her Estate in South Africa but wholesale fraud has been committed in her Estate to the extent that it appears as if she has no assets.
JA: Anything else I can tell the Lawyer before I connect you two?
Customer: I am having difficulty getting a Letter of Executorship in South Africa as I feel the system is being corrupted by thieves and dishonest lawyers. My mother was manipulated by the Courts and a Trust Syndicate which took her assets.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Category: South Africa Law
Expert:  Freddie Lombard replied 6 months ago.
Hi there Thank you for your question. I will try to assist you in answering it today but please feel free to ask as many follow up questions as you like until you are 100% satisfied. I hear what you are saying but I simply must mention that even though South Africa faces many challenges, our estate administration procedures and our conveyancing system is world class and are much better than many first world countries. There may be corrupt officials in any sector but if you do not trust a person, you can always get help elsewhere. The process of handling deceased estates is a very complex and formal process being overseen by the Master of the High Court. If you are not experienced with this process, you will find the task impossible. You can remain executor but appoint an attorney as your agent in order to assist you with the process. You will still be kept in the loop and will have to OK all steps. If you can find any proof of fraud, it will be open to you, as executor of the estate, to sue the persons involved in order to claim any money back as well as any damages. You will however need to get an attorney to assist you and therefore you need to get one that you trust. If you have any complaints, you can address your complaints to the Master of the High Court or the Law Society of the province where the attorney practices. I hope this answered your question. I know it will take an extra minute of your time to rate my service, but if you do not rate it, I do not get paid by the website so I would really appreciate it if you would be so kind as to rate my service positively. Feel free to ask further question here on this topic at no extra cost if you need more information. Regards
Hi there, I have noticed that you have not yet rated my service and consequently I am not sure if you still need help from me or if you are satisfied. Please rate my service positively if you are satisfied. Kind regards
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I thank you for your reply. My understanding is that South Africa is the most corrupt nation on Earth. As for the service it is historically bad and has got ten times worse since the onset of Black Empowerment. It is well known that this Judicial arm is an integral part of money laundering and corruption at the highest level. One only has to look at the service levels of local Municipalities to realise they are there not to provide a fair service but just there to steal your money. The hard earned cash you pay in is never returned in the upgrade of anything. The roads are falling apart, the Police are corrupt, and the incidence of crime is rife. People are certainly not happy in the new South Africa. The South African Rand is 21-1 to the GBP and does not seem to recover, and it is doubted if it ever will. I am not knocking your qualifications , but let us be honest. Do you honestly want me to believe that a lawyer that has just left Witwatersrand with a Law degree honestly understands anything about the Law or Justice. The education system is a total mess and one would only gain a place at Wits if you were black in any event. Let us be honest Freddie, the system is full of corruption and only serves as a place for backhanders and greasing of the palm. That is the nature of these people, and certainly Third World, and believe me I am trying to be kind. There are ethical people out there Freddie and you may be one of them, but I am afraid they are very rare in South Africa. There certainly is a lot of room for improvement. South Africa is a thieves paradise.
And this is the truth...
Off course you are entitled to believe whatever it is you believe about South Africa. My experience here has been the opposite of what you state. Although corruption cannot be ignored or denied, in my experience South Africans are for the most part hard working, honest people. Yes, we have immense challenges with our government. Be that as it may, after your description of the ills of South Africa, is there another question that you want me to answer before you rate the service? Regards