CaseLaw, Attorney
Experience:  BCom; LLB; Masters in Law

Would a trust transfer % of fees entered as an entry in a

Customer Question

Hi, Would a trust transfer for 50% of fees entered as an entry in a trust creditor’s legder account in a conveyancing matter be a regular entry?
Category: South Africa Law
Expert:  CaseLaw replied 7 months ago.

Hi there and thank you for your question,

I will try to assist you with your legal question but please feel free to ask as many follow up questions as you like until you are 100% satisfied.

My knee-jerk reaction to the question is No, it would not be a regular entry.

The reason I'm saying that is because the attorney only earns his fee on date of registration of transfer of the property into the purchaser's name. Only then can the attorney put his fee through, and most of the time the attorney will put the whole fee through.

If the attorney decides to only put 50% of his fee through AFTER date of registration of transfer, then I suppose that entry is fine.

If however the attorney puts through 50% of his fee through BEFORE date of registration of transfer, then I am of the opinion that the entry is NOT fine.

If my answer hasn't answered all of your questions, please send me a REPLY with follow up questions so that I can continue to assist you in this same thread for as long as you need. Let me know if you need more advice - dont just rate my answer as "bad".

If my are HAPPY with my answer then please click one of the STAR ratings or the SMILEY FACES to rate my answer!

Good luck and best regards,

Expert:  CaseLaw replied 7 months ago.

Hi there again,

I see that you've read my answer and I hope that you understood the answer and that it was useful? If you have a further question please ask it, or if you need clarity on the answer please let me know.

If you're happy that I've answered your question, please leave positive feedback for me.