Freddie Lombard
Freddie Lombard, Attorney
Experience:  Practicing attorney and conveyancer with 16 years post article experience.
75614155

Married to south African. I would like to divorce m. How do

Customer Question

Hi. I am South African and married to south African. I would like to divorce him. How do I go about doing that?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I no longer want to be married. We met here and got married at the consulate
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: South Africa Law
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Just to be clear we are both living in Dubai UAE.
Expert:  Freddie Lombard replied 9 months ago.

Hi there

Thank you for your question. I will try to assist you in answering it today but please feel free to ask as many follow up questions as you like until you are 100% satisfied.

It is possible for you to divorce in Dubai but if the divorce is contested and difficult, it will be decided according to Sharia laws and you will have to consult with an expert divorce lawyer in Dubai to find out what the consequences of those laws will be. Unless you are Muslim, these laws will most likely not suit your needs.

If an amicable divorce is at all possible, you should try to go that route and let an attorney draft a settlement agreement for you.

You will not be able to divorce in SA while living abroad on a permanent basis. If you decide to do it here, at least one of the parties will have to move back.

I hope this answered your question.

I know it will take an extra minute of your time to rate my service, but if you do not rate it, I do not get paid by the website so I would really appreciate it if you would be so kind as to rate my service positively. Feel free to ask further question here on this topic at no extra cost if you need more information.

Regards

Hi there,

I have noticed that you have not yet rated my service and consequently I am not sure if you still need help from me or if you are satisfied.

Please rate my service positively if you are satisfied.

Kind regards