WCLawyer
WCLawyer, Attorney
Experience:  L.LB (UOVS)
32244620

I would like to know. I am a government worker and have been

Customer Question

I would like to know. I am a government worker and have been for 30 years, in policing(SAPS)I also completed my BA LAW(LLB) 2008.is it possible for that to be considered community service as contemplated in Legal Practitioners Act, can be considered to apply for admission as an attorney without doing vocational training?
Category: South Africa Law
Expert:  WCLawyer replied 1 year ago.

Good evening

Community service is defined (in the attorneys act) as follows:

“community service” means full-time service related to the application of the law and performed—

(a)at a law clinic in respect of which the society having jurisdiction in the area in which that law clinic is operated, certifies that the law clinic concerned complies with the requirements prescribed by the council of such society for the operation of such clinic; or

(b)on behalf of and under the control of Legal Aid South Africa established under section 2 of the Legal Aid South Africa Act, 2014, and which is approved for this purpose by the Minister;

So, unfortunately your job at the moment does not fall under what the act deems as community service.

I know that this is probably not the answer that you have hoped for, however, I hope that you can still get some value out of it. I try my best to provide you with a legally sound and accurate answer and how ever much it pains me, it is not always good news. Trust me when I say that I wish I could provide you with a more optimistic answer. If you have follow up questions before you rate, feel free to ask them at no extra cost. If you are satisfied with the service,kindly rate it positively