Freddie Lombard
Freddie Lombard, Attorney
Experience:  Practicing attorney and conveyancer with 16 years post article experience.
75614155

Can a mother now summons me to pay maintenance child born 16

Customer Question

Can a mother now summons me to pay maintenance for her child born 16 years ago after refusing to do a paternity test at the time of birth because she was married and did not want her husband at the time to know that he was not the father ?
Category: South Africa Law
Expert:  Freddie Lombard replied 9 months ago.

Good morning,

Thank you for your question. I will try to assist you in answering it today but please feel free to ask as many follow up questions as you like until you are 100% satisfied.

In theory, yes she can. But, the same rules will still apply. If she wants to claim maintenance from you, then she will have to prove that you are indeed the biological father of the child. So, if you demand that a paternity test is done, and she still refuses to have one done, she will have a hard time convincing the Court that you are the father and that you are liable to pay maintenance.

I hope this answered your question.

I know it will take an extra minute of your time to rate my service, but if you do not rate it, I do not get paid by the website so I would really appreciate it if you would be so kind as to rate my service positively. Feel free to ask further question here on this topic at no extra cost if you need more information.

Regards

Good morning,

I hope this answered your question.

Regards

I cannot see whether you have read the answer yet.

Do you need some more information, or do you have any further questions that you want to ask?

Regards