Barend B.
Barend B., Legal Consultant
Experience:  BLC LLB (Pret) LLM (Augsburg)
20266670

I wonder whether you on the following matter. four months of

Customer Question

I wonder whether you could follow up on the following matter. four months of contact by myself have failed. I write as a result of unsatisfactory work done by Uthuli who I met at the Getaway show last August. Uthuli, amongst other upholstery type products, make up and provide seat covers for 4X4 vehicles. I ordered seat covers for my Prado. The problem which emerged is laid out below in the email communication of 6th October, this both following and preceding a series of weekly e mails up to mid December requesting compensation for the direct cost incurred as a result of repairs required to my vehicle by Rand Stadium Toyota following their faulty fitment. Uthuli, represented by Chantelle, have ducked and dived for months – and continue to do so. Chantelle has over three and a half months repeatedly undertaken to discuss the matter with her manager but has either failed to do so or failed to elicit a response. There has been no apparent intention from Uthuli to take responsibility for their errors. To me this represents shoddy business practice and a poor sense of ethics.
“My communication of last Thursday to which I have not had a reply refers. The actual cost, inconvenience aside, of rectifying errors in UTHULI's fitment of the seat covers to my vehicle was R792-30 as shown on the attached scan.
“The history is that I ordered set covers and paid in full on 1st September 2015. They were ready a month later. I travelled to your facility
near the Coca Cola Dome over lunch time on the 1st October to have the covers fitted. Fitting took a long time, partly because the cover had to
be modified to fit. When I left the Uthuli premises the airbag warning light showed a problem.. I returned and was asked to go to Halfway
Toyota Honeydew to assess the fault. The fault was given as B1153 (seat pos sensor assembly). The service advisor was Jacques Haywood (079 884
8644). He asked me to book my car in for repair - which was inconvenient as I lived some 60 km away and also had to get to work. I
neither wanted to hire a car for a day not to travel the distances required in peak traffic. On return to Uthuli and reporting on the fault, the
seats were removed by yourselves to find a loose wire, if any. Nothing was found. Now late in the afternoon I returned home via my local Totota
dealer, Rand Stadium, the Glen, reaching them after 17h30, too late for that day. I booked the car in for the next day. They found the fault.
I had ***** *****, the service advisor, phone yourself to explain what had gone wrong. Apparently the way the covers had been fitted affected the
sensors when the seats were adjusted forwards or backwards. The cost was an hours labour.
“Whilst I agree that the fault occurred as a result of an unintended mistake of the part of your fitter, I feel Uthuli, should compensate me for at least
the direct cost of repair. Given that you find this reasonable how should we process this further? If you have a problem with this please
let me know.”
Regards
Tony Paterson(###) ###-####
Category: South Africa Law
Expert:  Freddie Lombard replied 11 months ago.

Hi Tony

Before I will try to assist you I first need to establish if you understand that Just Answer is a question and answer service only. I cannot act as your attorney or follow up with legal letters and calls on your behalf. I can only answer a legal question and make suggestions as to how to resolve a dispute/problem.

If you understand this and still need for me to continue to make suggestions as to how to resolve your dispute with Utuli please let me know. If however this is not what you want you should request the administrators of the website for a refund.

I await your response.

Kind regards