Barend B.
Barend B., Legal Consultant
Experience:  BLC LLB (Pret) LLM (Augsburg)
20266670

Thanks. Hope you can help. I have a domestic worker that

Customer Question

Hi thanks. Hope you can help. I have a domestic worker that works for us the last 5 years. This year we have been struggling with her . She brakes things , came home one day and my child was on his own at home. I don't know for how long. In any case I noticed that a few items are missing. My black suit case and new knifes. I have search every where. I have asked her about and does not know. I don't know lately how to deal with her about matters. I sometimes feel likes she wants me to fire her. She looks after the kids as we'll and do the house work. I don't know if I can trust her or not. O yes and then a few weeks ago she was sick and brought me a dr notice from her dr stating she got a severe medical illness. I phoned him about it and he said he can't tell me what is wrong with her I must ask her. For me it was a to coincidence that she was sick because she knew I had to be home for that week to look after my sick child. We just came out of hospital and I felt when I needed her the most that week she wasn't there. I actually don't know what to do.
Category: South Africa Law
Expert:  Barend B. replied 11 months ago.

Good evening,

In order to advise you to the best of my abilities, I would like to ask you a few clarifying questions. Kindly respond on this thread.

Do you have a written contract of employment with the domestic? If so, could you please send me a copy?

When your child was home alone, did you confront her? If was, what was her excuse?

When she has done something wrong, have you given her a warning, either verbal or written?

Apart from the issues listed in your description, has she transgressed in any other way recently? Could you perhaps put dates to the issues listed, as well as any other transgressions which may have occurred?

Regards,

BB