CaseLaw
CaseLaw, Attorney
Experience:  BCom; LLB; Masters in Law
31036262

Are the "Grey utility box" speed cameras legal

Customer Question

Category: South Africa Law
Expert:  CaseLaw replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and thank you for your question,

I will try to assist you with your legal question but please feel free to ask as many follow up questions as you like until you are 100% satisfied.

Yes, unfortuantely they are.

There are no laws or regulations that (i) specifically require the municipality to place warning signs about up-coming speed cameras; and nor are there laws or regulations that (ii) require the speed cameras to be clearly visible to the motorist.

That means that the municipality can paint them whatever colour they want, and can "hide" the cameras in grey utility boxes, or wheelie bins, or in the bush, or wherever they want.

There are many many articles online dealing with this topic if you want to read up further.

If my answer hasn't answered all of your questions, please send me a REPLY with follow up questions so that I can continue to assist you in this same thread for as long as you need. Let me know if you need more advice - don't just rate my answer as "bad".

If my are HAPPY with my answer then please click one of the STAR ratings or the SMILEY FACES to rate my answer!

Good luck and best regards,

CaseLaw