Freddie Lombard
Freddie Lombard, Attorney
Experience:  Practicing attorney and conveyancer with 16 years post article experience.
75614155

I got an email from boksburg sheriff movable property they

Customer Question

Good day, I got an email from boksburg sheriff movable property they mentioned that they are in possession of an instruction to evict the persons occupying the house that I bought , however they say BEFORE an eviction can be executed I have to pay R9000.00 in order for them to pay third party contractors like locksmith e.t.c. I feel that the amount that they arerequesting is too much even though they say it will be refunded back to me should the party thirties request less
Category: South Africa Law
Expert:  Freddie Lombard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there

Thank you for your question. I will try to assist you in answering it today but please feel free to ask as many follow up questions as you like until you are 100% satisfied.

I agree that the amount is high but the sheriff is entitled to request security for costs and if they demand a R9 000.00 deposit then there is really not much that you can do about it apart from negotiating a lower amount. They will have to pay your deposit into their trust account and refund any balance to you but in the even that they end up having to pay even more than the R9000.00 deposit, they will claim the balance from you as well.

I know that this was possibly not the answer you were hoping for but please bear in mind that I am obliged to supply you with sound legal advice in accordance with the current legal position and that I am not able to change the laws to suit your case.

I therefore ask that you keep this in mind when rating my service and that you will rate my service, irrespective whether you like my answer of not.

If you need more information on this topic please feel free to ask more at no extra cost.

If you are satisfied that I answered your question correctly, please give this service a positive rating.

Regards