CaseLaw
CaseLaw, Attorney
Experience:  BCom; LLB; Masters in Law
31036262

59 years of age and would like my biological surname back.

Customer Question

Hi I am Gavin Smith 59 years of age and would like my biological surname back. LAX. I was a Lax up till age 13 when my Mom remarried and my step-dad adopted me.
Category: South Africa Law
Expert:  WCLawyer replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning

That would be possible. You would need to go to your closest Home Affairs Office. They would basically require you to fill out a form and submit it. At the same time you will apply for your new ID and Passport etc reflecting your new surname. The documents will get processed and you will be notified if your application was successful.

Since you are changing it back to a former surname, there is very little chance that the application will be refused, in my opinion.

I am not sure if this answers your question. So if you have follow up questions before you rate, feel free to ask them at no extra cost. If you are satisfied with the service, kindly rate it positively

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have done the home affairs thing. Paid all money and it has been going on for two years. According to them they need my fathers death certificate, which they can not trace. I do not have an id number but do have date of birth and passing. Anybody else that possible could help me...
Expert:  CaseLaw replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and thank you for your question,

Home Affairs has requested that information to prove that you were originally a Lax. You'll need to get the documents for them. This could include your father's death certificate, and also your original vault copy of your birth certificate. Does the executor of your father's estate not have a copy of his death certificate that you can request? What about the Master of the High Court where your father's estate was wound up? They would have a copy of the death certificate on file. Ask them - if you have an estate late number for your father's estate.

If my answer hasn't answered all of your questions, please send me a REPLY with follow up questions so that I can continue to assist you in this same thread for as long as you need. Let me know if you need more advice - don't just rate my answer as "bad".

If my are HAPPY with my answer then please click one of the STAR ratings or the SMILEY FACES to rate my answer!

Good luck and best regards,

CaseLaw

Please note: This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please consult a local attorney in person for legal advice. This information is being provided so you can better discuss legal matters with your attorney.