CaseLaw
CaseLaw, Attorney
Experience:  BCom; LLB; Masters in Law
31036262

I just wanted to know how does it cost Certificate. Because

Customer Question

Hi, Mike im Calvin i just wanted to know how does it cost for the Certificate. Because my Mom got a parcel that was sending form the Uk of a friend of hers. The reason for the parcel was to say thanks for helping him to us, he wanted to come and spend time here in Sa. So by arriving here in the authorities take arrested him. They were thinking he was busy with money laundering because the amount of money he bought to spend time here.
Category: South Africa Law
Expert:  CaseLaw replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and thank you for your question,

Can I ask a blunt question -- has your Mom ACTUALLY met this guy, or are they friends through the internet? Does she PERSONALLY know this guy, or is it an online friend?

The reason that I'm asking is that I get about 3 questions EXACTLY like yours each month, and EVERY SINGLE one of them is always a SCAM of some sort.

Basically the point of the scam is to get your Mom to pay money. It normally involves somebody getting arrested, and bail money, or money for certificates, or affidavits getting signed, or customs clearances, or processing fees, or something like that!

This is a Nigerian 419 advanced fee scam, and my advice to your Mom is NOT TO SEND ANY MONEY.

The GOLDEN rule in this situation is that whenever an upfront payment of money is requested before you can receive another BIG payment, or before your payment can be "released", you should take extra caution that it is a scam.

Normally there are promises about "pay something now, and you'll get a massive reward later".

Other times the scam is that somebody is arrested, and they need bail money.

It's ALWAYS the same thing - a scam.

PLEASE Calvin, speak to your Mom, and Google Nigerian 419 advanced fee scam. Read up what you can. This is nothing more than a confidence trick in which your Mom is the target!

If my answer hasn't answered all of your questions, please send me a REPLY with follow up questions so that I can continue to assist you in this same thread for as long as you need. Let me know if you need more advice - don't just rate my answer as "bad".

If my are HAPPY with my answer then please click one of the SMILEY FACES to rate my answer and then click the GREEN ACCEPT button to accept the answer.

Good luck and best regards,

CaseLaw

Please note: This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please consult a local attorney in person for legal advice. This information is being provided so you can better discuss legal matters with your attorney.

Expert:  CaseLaw replied 1 year ago.

Ask the courier company for their telephone number, and then Google the telephone number. It SHOULD come up with the courier company's website. If it doesn't, then that should set off alarm bells in your head.

Also, no courier company will ever contact you asking for money for a "anti territories Certificate". The only time I've ever heard that is in a 419 scam!