WCLawyer
WCLawyer, Attorney
Experience:  L.LB (UOVS)
32244620

Can you please help.i run my own business,last year we ran

Customer Question

Good day
can you please help.i run my own business,last year we ran into cash flow problems resulting in slow payment of suppliers.i was handed a summons in august last year for an amount of R19038.70 which i fully paid in Feb 2015.
my company was put on KREDITINFORM on 22/07/15 & i have now received an invoice from my clients attorney to pay R3466.43 + interest or R861.53.
Am i liable for this account,please advise.
Thanks & kind regards
Eric(ROWCAM PARTS)
Category: South Africa Law
Expert:  WCLawyer replied 1 year ago.

Hi Eric.

Did the attorneys take any steps other than the summons?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no just judgment
Expert:  WCLawyer replied 1 year ago.

Okay, so they also obtained judgment?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i was asked to pay R3466.43 + R861.53 interest,if you provide me with an email address i can e/maill all the documents to you.
Expert:  WCLawyer replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately I am not allowed to give out my contact details other than through the additional services function. This is probably going to cost you another $5 - $8 or so. Would you want me to go ahead with that?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
am i resposible for lawyers fees?????
Expert:  WCLawyer replied 1 year ago.

Yes, you would be responsible for lawyers fees, but not necessarily in that amount. I do not know all the steps that the attorneys took in order to collect the money, so it is difficult for me to say how much you are responsible for. If you did not defend the matter, you would be liable for the costs of the summons and the judgment. The summons would be R404.00 plus VAT. The judgment would be R309.00 plus VAT. Then they would be entitled to 10% (plus VAT) of the value of every payment that you made, up to a maximum of R350.00 plus VAT per payment.

You would also be liable for Sheriffs fees. That I would not know the amount of.

R 3466.43 seems excessive if summons and judgment was the only steps taken. If not, however, then that amount may very well be due and payable by you.