CaseLaw
CaseLaw, Attorney
Experience:  BCom; LLB; Masters in Law
31036262

If you got a mental record can you buy a blackpowder gun

Customer Question

if you got a mental record can you buy a blackpowder gun pre-1898 replica
Category: South Africa Law
Expert:  CaseLaw replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and thank you for your question,

To buy a gun you'll need to a gun licence. As part of your application for a gun licence the police will do an investigation, and they'll find the fact that you have this "mental record", or whatever you call it.

If the police are happy that you should have a gun licence notwithstanding this mental record, then you'll be able to buy the replica gun. If they are not happy, then you won't get a licence, and you won't legally be allowed to buy the gun.

If you're saying that the gun is a replica and that it does not actually work (i.e. it doesn't fire anything) then it would technically not be a gun and you could buy it.

Hope that makes sense?

If my answer hasn't answered all of your questions, please send me a REPLY with follow up questions so that I can continue to assist you in this same thread for as long as you need. Let me know if you need more advice - don't just rate my answer as "bad".

If my are HAPPY with my answer then please click one of the SMILEY FACES to rate my answer and then click the GREEN ACCEPT button to accept the answer.

Good luck and best regards,

CaseLaw

Please note: This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please consult a local attorney in person for legal advice. This information is being provided so you can better discuss legal matters with your attorney.