WCLawyer
WCLawyer, Attorney
Experience:  L.LB (UOVS)
32244620

I'm married to my wife and want to marry another one wat

Customer Question

I'm married to my wife and want to marry another one wat should I do for them to be legally married to me both of them
Category: South Africa Law
Expert:  WCLawyer replied 1 year ago.

Good Evening

Are you married in terms of the Civil Union Act, Marriage Act or the Recognition of Customary Marriages Act?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Civil in community of property
Expert:  WCLawyer replied 1 year ago.

I am afraid that there is then no way that you can be married to two persons legally. Our law only allows for polygamous marriages where the spouses is married in terms of African customary law.

Should you marry the second wife, the marriage will be illegal and null and void.

I know that this is probably not the answer that you have hoped for, however, I hope that you can still get some value out of it. I try my best to provide you with a legally sound and accurate answer and how ever much it pains me, it is not always good news. Trust me when I say that I wish I could provide you with a more optimistic answer. If you have follow up questions before you rate, feel free to ask them at no extra cost. If you are satisfied with the service,kindly rate it positively

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so can I change to African customary marriage or if you sign civil it's done you can't change
Expert:  WCLawyer replied 1 year ago.

Are you African? And by that I mean do you belong to any of the 'indigenous' African tribes?

Expert:  WCLawyer replied 1 year ago.

If you aren't, the Recognition of Customary Marriages Act does not allow you to get married under African customary law.

If you are, then you would have to divorce your first wife, re-marry her under customary law, have that customary marriage registered and then ask her permission to marry the second wife. Then get married to the second wife under customary law and have that marriage registered in terms of the above mentioned act as well.