Freddie Lombard
Freddie Lombard, Attorney
Experience:  Practicing attorney and conveyancer with 16 years post article experience.
75614155

I married a Bastho and we separated a year and eight months

Customer Question

Hello. I married a Bastho and we separated a year and eight months ago. Now I want a divorce. He is now back living in Lesotho. Our marriage was conducted in South Africa. Is it better for me to get an attorney in South Africa? They know the process of South African Department of Home Affairs and can contact him much easier.
Category: South Africa Law
Expert:  Freddie Lombard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there

Thank you for your question. I will try to assist you in answering it today but please feel free to ask as many follow up questions as you like until you are 100% satisfied.

It will always be better for you to get an attorney where you are ordinarily residing as it will save you money. If he wants to defend your claims he will have to appoint an attorney in your area or appoint a correspondent attorney which will increase his costs.

It is also more practical to get a local attorney as this will enable you to have proper consultations with him. The summons can very easily be served on him in Lesotho.

I hope this answered your question.

I know it will take an extra minute of your time to rate my service, but if you do not rate it, I do not get paid by the website so I would really appreciate it if you would be so kind as to rate my service positively. Feel free to ask further question here on this topic at no extra cost if you need more information.

Regards