Freddie Lombard
Freddie Lombard, Attorney
Experience:  Practicing attorney and conveyancer with 16 years post article experience.
75614155

IM busy with my divorce, but each time a put a new proposal

Customer Question

HI
IM busy with my divorce, but each time a put a new proposal on the table my wife comes back with a new demand. even if i agree to her previous demands. how can i force her to sign the divorce agreement and stop her delay tactics.
Category: South Africa Law
Expert:  Freddie Lombard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there

Thank you for your question. I will try to assist you in answering it today but please feel free to ask as many follow up questions as you like until you are 100% satisfied.

I am sorry to hear about your marital troubles but unfortunately there is no way in which you can force her to accept any settlement offer. You can however use the correspondence in trial if you get a trial date even if it is marked "without prejudice" as only legitimate settlement proposals will not be admissible.

If she has instituted a counter claim and you consent thereto, you can always file a notice stating that you withdraw your opposition to her counterclaim and your claim IF you agree to the terms she asked for in the counter claim. If she issued summons, you can do the same thing in respect of her claims in the summons.

If the above is not an option, you can only try to get an expedited trial date and take the matter before the Judge/Magistrate. You can then use the correspondence against her.

I hope this answered your question.

I know it will take an extra minute of your time to rate my service, but if you do not rate it, I do not get paid by the website so I would really appreciate it if you would be so kind as to rate my service positively. Feel free to ask further question here on this topic at no extra cost if you need more information.

Regards