Barend B.
Barend B., Legal Consultant
Experience:  BLC LLB (Pret) LLM (Augsburg)
20266670

Does CPL apply to relation "doctor-patient"?Doctor charged

Customer Question

Does CPL apply to relation "doctor-patient"?
Doctor charged 200% of medical aid rate without prior warning or any information or agreement of his services or costs of his services supplied to myself.
I suppose that I should be at least informed about such inflated charges in relations to market related and medical schemes approved rates.
Do I have rights to object unfear, not agreed charges ?
Kind Regards
Halina Ziemski ***@******.***
Category: South Africa Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Barend B. replied 1 year ago.
Good evening,The Consumer Protection Act (CPA) does in fact apply to the doctor-patient relationship as long as the doctor does not practice in a partnership or company whose turnover exceeds R2 million per year, in which case the CPA would not apply. Should the CPA not apply, your recourse with regards ***** ***** fees would be to the Health Professionals Council of South Africa (HPCSA). If the CPA does apply, then section 50 would be applicable in that the agreement you sign (normally a form with all your personal information and acceptance for liability for whatever the medical aid would not pay) the financial obligations would have to be described, and that would include the fees for certain services. Should the CPA apply, you can lay a complaint with the National Consumer Council. Regards,Barend