Barend B.
Barend B., Legal Consultant
Experience:  BLC LLB (Pret) LLM (Augsburg)
20266670

We have a shop at a mall and now it's 3 months that we did

Customer Question

Hi we have a shop at a mall and now it's 3 months that we did not pay the rent .but it have proof off emails that I was sending to the head office to cancel my lease at 2 months ago which the mall has my deposit kept they never get back to me as yet am under so much stress
Category: South Africa Law
Expert:  Freddie Lombard replied 1 year ago.
Good morning, Please ask a specific question to enable me to answer you. What is it exactly that you want to know? Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We are having rent issues
Expert:  CaseLaw replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, This is a further information request so that I can provide you a proper answer to your legal question. Please continue in this same question thread.If you say that you cancelled the lease 2 months ago, can I please check that your lease agreement has a clause in it that says you can give the landlord 2 months' notice to cancel the lease? Most commercial leases are for a fixed terms (e.g. 5 years) and neither the landlord nor the tenant can cancel the lease within that period... unless it is by mutual agreement.Have you moved out of the leased premises if you have cancelled the lease? If I understand you right, you owe the landlord 3 months' rental, and the landlord has your deposit?Awaiting your further information.RegardsCaseLaw