CaseLaw
CaseLaw, Attorney
Experience:  BCom; LLB; Masters in Law
31036262

I am trying to figure out if a supposed lawyer of Benin is legit. His

Customer Question

I am trying to figure out if a supposed lawyer of Benin is legit. His name is*****
Can you help me?
Category: South Africa Law
Expert:  CaseLaw replied 1 year ago.
Hi there and thank you for your question,Have you met Bar Mohammed Toki before? How did you come to know of him? Did he approach you with some sort of offer? Is there a payment of money involved? Do you stand to make a LARGE profit off of a strange transaction?IF SO, THIS IS MOST PROBABLY THE START OF A NIGERIAN 419 ADVANCED FEE SCAM !!!!!!!!The GOLDEN rule in this situation is that whenever an upfront payment of money is requested before you can receive another BIG payment, or before your payment can be "released", you should take extra caution that it is a scam. The scammers will send you (what looks like) original documents from some Fake Bank, or will send you to a Fake Internet Banking website as "proof" of your money that has been deposited into your account. It's all fake. They will tell you that the transfer has gone through, and that you have paid to send the transfer, but will then invent a further charge relating to the receipt of the money, or dealing with Treasury or something like that.They may even request that you pay them to complete a sworn affidavit of claim or a fact certificate so that you can issue the documents. My suggestion is to BREAK OFF ALL FURTHER COMMUNICATION WITH THEM ... YOU ARE ONLY GOING TO LOOSE YOUR MONEY....The so-called "419" scam (aka "Nigeria scam" or "West African" scam) is a type of fraud named after an article of the Nigerian penal code under which it is prosecuted. It is also known as "Advance Fee Fraud" because the common principle of all the scam format is to get the victim to send cash (or other items of value) upfront by promising them a large amount of money that they would receive later if they cooperate. In almost all cases, the criminals receive money using Western Union and MoneyGram, instant wire transfer services with which the recipient can't be traced once the money has been picked up. These services should never be used with people you only know by email or telephone! This could include strange long distance relatives who have left you millions in their will, and all you need to do is to pay the bank charges (R10,000) to have the money released.The victims are promised a fortune for providing a bank account to transfer the money to. Then - if they fall for the scam - they are made to part with thousands and sometimes hundreds of thousands of dollars in "bribes" for local officials or other "fees" (taxes, insurance, legal fees, etc) before the "partners" finally disappear without trace.Many 419 scams involve a fake lawyer (usually a person who calls himself a Barrister or claims to work for a firm whose name includes the word "Chambers").An advance-fee fraud is a confidence trick in which the target is persuaded to advance sums of money in the hope of realizing a significantly larger gain. Among the variations on this type of scam, are the Nigerian Letter (also called the 419 fraud, Nigerian scam, Nigerian bank scam, or Nigerian money offer), the Spanish Prisoner, the black money scam as well as Russian/Ukrainian scam (also extremely widespread, though far less popular than the former).The lottery scam involves fake notices of lottery wins. The winner is usually asked to send sensitive information to a free e-mail account. The scammer then notifies the victim that releasing the funds requires some small fee (insurance, registration, or shipping). Once the victim sends the fee, the scammer invents another fee.Much like the various forms of overpayment fraud detailed above, a new variant of the lottery scam involves fake or stolen cheques being sent to the 'winner' of the lottery (these cheques representing a part payment of the winnings). The winner is more likely to assume the win is legitimate, and thus more likely to send the fee (which he does not realize is an advance fee). The cheque and associated funds are flagged by the bank when the fraud is discovered, and debited from the victim's account.You can have a look at this site http://www.419scam.org/419scam.htm for more information.Please note: I am not 100% positive that this is a SCAM, but I can give you a 99.99% sure that if you did not enter the lottery, or did not initiate the contact with this person, then this is most probably an advanced fee SCAM.Depending in what information you have given these people, you might indeed be at risk of identity theft. It would be advisable to keep a close look at activity on you bank and credit card accounts and report any unauthorised activity immediately. If you feel up for it, it might be a good idea to change your banking details.If there is something more specific that you need clarity on, please continue in this same thread. Let me know if you need more advice!I hope you found my answer helpful. If you did, PLEASE rate my answer & please leave me positive feedback! Good luck and best regards,CaseLawPlease note: This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please consult a local attorney in person for legal advice. This information is being provided so you can better discuss legal matters with your attorney.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My fiance was contacted by this supposed lawyer about land that her deceased father owned in Benin. She has to claim it as he says soon or the government will take the property. No money request as yet.
Expert:  CaseLaw replied 1 year ago.
NiGERIAN 419 ADVANCED FEE SCAM !!!!!!!!Break ALL contact immediately. Otherwise, send them money (they WILL request it) and then kiss it goodbye! On second thoughts, rather send the money to me, please... P.S. I just saved you thousands of Rands!
Expert:  CaseLaw replied 1 year ago.
Unless your fiance has PROOF, obtained from her father's personal records, that he actually did own land in Benin. Highly doubtful. Don't accept proof from the "attorney". It'll be 100% fake!
Expert:  CaseLaw replied 1 year ago.
Hi there again,
I hope that you understood the above advice and that it was useful? Please leave positive feedback for me.
If you have a further question please ask it?
Regards
CaseLaw