CaseLaw
CaseLaw, Attorney
Experience:  BCom; LLB; Masters in Law
31036262

I am a SA national and single. Is it legal to openly advertise in Sout

Customer Question

Dear Sir or Madam, I am a SA national and single. Is it legal to openly advertise in South Africa for a marriage partner with half the required investment capital, for the purpose of mounting a joint permanent residency application in a European country as a married couple? Regards, Lance
Category: South Africa Law
Expert:  CaseLaw replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,No, there is nothing illegal about that. BUT, your joint permanent residency application in a European country might be turned down on the basis that you entered into the marriage for the sole (primary) purpose of applying for joint permanent residency in the European country. Normally it is a requirement that you are husband and wife, and that you married because you love each other. You are then treated as a couple. If your basis for marriage was to assist in your joint permanent residency application, then they may see that as a sham and decline your whole application!There's nothing illegal about it, but you are taking a risk.If you don't mention anything about that in your application, then perhaps that would be to your benefit.If there is something more specific that you need clarity on, please continue in this same thread. Let me know if you need more advice!I hope you found my answer helpful. If you did, PLEASE rate my answer & please leave me positive feedback! Good luck and best regards,CaseLawPlease note: This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please consult a local attorney in person for legal advice. This information is being provided so you can better discuss legal matters with your attorney.