Shaie Zindel
Shaie Zindel, Attorney
Experience:  All areas of commercial and contract Law - specialist in property advice.
67955801

My son is getting devorce, his wife dont want to settle as soon they got a court date she

Customer Question

My son is getting devorce, his wife dont want to settle as soon they got a court date she delay the process. He can only sees his child on Wednesdays for 2 hours and on Sundays if she is available for 4 hours. She said it is enouth time for us as grand parents to see our grandchild.
She lied on more as one occassion, when going away with her new boyfriend and leave her child at her moms house for weekends as we confront her she said it is her child and she can do what she want, we cannot take our grandchild to church she refuse and said she will raise her child the way she want. Please help it seems to us that my sons lawyers is not capable to solve these matters, we need help. Tanks koos rudolph
Category: South Africa Law
Expert:  Shaie Zindel replied 1 year ago.
Hi Koos - this sounds very bad! Where is the Divorce happening - in which Court? I would suggest that the Father get a social worker / therapist report and lodge a request for an urgent investigation by the Family Advocate - it sounds like she is using the child to punish the Father and you the Grandparents. How old is the child?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Shaie. It happens in Middelburg Mpumalanga court and the child is 2 years old.What is our rights as grandparents for visiting our grandchild
Definitely you as Grandparents have rights to your Grandchild - for the mother to block you she will need to show that it is not in the child's interest. I don't see how she will be able to show that. You might consider bringing your own access application separate to the legal proceedings of your son - you can do this far more easily today than in previous years because of the Children's Act and the Children's Court - maybe you need to consult a family law specialist?