Freddie Lombard
Freddie Lombard, Attorney
Experience:  Practicing attorney and conveyancer with 16 years post article experience.
75614155

Tx Freddie. Can I challenge the "no animals" rule of a body

Customer Question

Tx Freddie. Can I challenge the "no animals" rule of a body corporate. i am about to buy into a complex with this rule, but have a cat. What if I kept the cat indoors in a flat? What can they legally do? Tx charlotte
Category: South Africa Law
Expert:  Freddie Lombard replied 1 year ago.
Good morning, Thank you for your question. I will try to assist you in answering it today but please feel free to ask as many follow up questions as you like until you are 100% satisfied. I am afraid that you might not like my answer very much. The short of it is that you intend to purchase a unit in a complex with a known "no animal" rule. This means that you intend to subject yourself to the rules of the complex - if not, then (without sounding too harsh) you should not buy in that complex. In other words, what I am saying is, that you can challenge the rule in the High Court at great cost, but on what grounds? And if you do, you are going to have to answer why do you want to live in a complex with such a rule, but not be bound by such a rule. My feeling is that you will not be able to challenge the rule with any success. I hope this answered your question. I know it will take an extra minute of your time to rate my service, but if you do not rate it, I do not get paid by the website so I would really appreciate it if you would be so kind as to rate my service positively. Feel free to ask further question here on this topic at no extra cost if you need more information. Regards