Freddie Lombard
Freddie Lombard, Attorney
Experience:  Practicing attorney and conveyancer with 16 years post article experience.
75614155

There is a dispute in our sectional title complex about who

Customer Question

There is a dispute in our sectional title complex about who is responsible for individual units electricity meters. Also, is it true that the owner of a unit is responsible for the water pipes between his/her unit and the individual meter?
Category: South Africa Law
Expert:  Freddie Lombard replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon, Thank you for your question. I will try to assist you in answering it today but please feel free to ask as many follow up questions as you like until you are 100% satisfied. It is very easy actually - everything inside the unit (ie. from the medial line - the center of the walls) is for the account of the owner. Everything else is part of the common property and therefore the responsibility of the Body Corporate. So, in other words, if the electricity meter is inside the unit, it is the owners responsibility. The water pipes inside the unit, is for the owner's account - if it is outside the unit, then for the BC's account. I hope this answered your question.I know it will take an extra minute of your time to rate my service, but if you do not rate it, I do not get paid by the website so I would really appreciate it if you would be so kind as to rate my service positively. Feel free to ask further question here on this topic at no extra cost if you need more information. Regards