WCLawyer
WCLawyer, Attorney
Experience:  L.LB (UOVS)
32244620

A customer purchased a bug zapper. They used it and want to

Customer Question

A customer purchased a bug zapper. They used it and want to bring it back for a refund, nothing is wrong with the product. customer says it will not do what they want it to do. are we required to take it back and give them a refund?
Category: South Africa Law
Expert:  WCLawyer replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon. It is a bit difficult to answer that question with the information I have, but I will give you general terms.First off, if the thing is defective or becomes defective due to no fault of the consumer, then you are obligated to take the item back and refund the customer. 'Defective' will include a scenario where the thing does not do what is indicated on the packaging it can do. So, if this bug zapper does not kill bugs when it comes into contact with the insects, then clearly that will fall within the definition of a defect.If one of your sales consultants indicated to the client that the thing can fulfill a certain function not indicated on the packaging or advertising material, or if the consumer asked whether the thing can fulfill a certain function and the consultant indicated that it can, knowing full well that it cannot, then you would also be obligated to take it back and refund the customer.But, if the customer wants to return it because of buyers remorse, then you are under no obligation to take it back. So, if the bug zapper was sold to zap bugs and it does so effectively, but the consumer wants the bug zapper to also kill small rodents (to use an extreme example), which is clearly not it's intended use, then that would not be a valid reason for the return of the thing.I hope this helps you a little bit, but if you have follow up questions before you rate, feel free to ask them at no extra cost. If you are satisfied with the service, kindly rate it positively.