WCLawyer
WCLawyer, Attorney
Experience:  L.LB (UOVS)
32244620

Good day, quick question... I had an agreement with a seller

Customer Question

Good day, quick question... I had an agreement with a seller to purchase my house. We have made arrangements; everything has been signed and sealed It is now up for registration at the Deeds Office. Can the purchaser cancel the sale agreement? All monies has already been paid and its with the Transfer Attorney. What are my rights as the seller?
Category: South Africa Law
Expert:  WCLawyer replied 1 year ago.
Good day and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try and assist you today.
You can only ever cancel a contract if:
1. There is a material breach in the contract;
2. There is an agreement to which all parties have agreed to cancel
3. Performance from either party becomes impossible because of something out of their control.
So, if the purchaser indicates that he wishes to cancel, he must have a very good and very valid reason for it. It cannot be because of buyers remorse, for instance.
If he indicates that he wants to cancel, or he refuses to take action in order to have that transfer passed, you can actually compel him to do so through the courts, through an application for specific performance.
I am not sure if this answers your question. So if you have follow up questions before you rate, feel free to ask them at no extra cost. If you are satisfied with the service, kindly rate it positively