WCLawyer
WCLawyer, Attorney
Experience:  L.LB (UOVS)
32244620

Mike, I have just received a call from the police station,

Customer Question

hi mike, I have just received a call from the police station, I have been asked to come to the station as there is a case of assault against me opened by a certain man. On the day of the incident this man provoked me and we ended up puling each other with our garments. he then opened the case and I later opened a case as well as this person has been intimidating me for the past 3 years. I also later found out that the case I opened is investigated by his close friend who has always helped him out by losing documents for previous cases opened against this person by people I also know. Any advice on what I should do, I am a trainee accountant finishing off my articles to become a chartered accountant and this matter is stressing me out. please help, your response would be much appreciated.
Category: South Africa Law
Expert:  WCLawyer replied 1 year ago.
Good day and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try and assist you today.
My advice to you is to inform them that you refuse to make a statement other than through your attorney. They are not supposed to arrest you for this (meaning they have no right to arrest you for this) and if they want to ensure your presence at court, then they should issue a summons, rather than arrest you.
Having said that, I cannot guarantee that they are not going to arrest you in any case. My impression and indeed experience of some policemen is that they believe that they are a law unto themselves.
So, the best advice that I can give you is to find a good criminal attorney and let him handle it.
I am not sure if this answers your question. So if you have follow up questions before you rate, feel free to ask them at no extra cost. If you are satisfied with the service, kindly rate it positively