JJ, Attorney
Experience:  Admitted Attorney 17 years experience

My pregnant (5 months) daughter (23), do net have the means

My pregnant (5 months) daughter (23), do net have the means to take care of her and the unborn child. I do believe she is still using drugs, can i intervene to help the unborn child?

I do not think i can/want to help her, but want to help the baby so the he/she can have a future.

regards Estelle

Hi Estelle and welcome!

My name isXXXXX you for giving me the opportunity to assist you.

Do you mean helping the child when born?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i was thinking of intervention before the time? are there any thing legally that can be done for a unborn child? My bee some private welfare that can help evaluating the problem

Hi Estelle

The unborn child have no personal rights until born other than the right to life in terms of the constitution. It will therefore be very difficult to prove that you should be interfereing at this stage and you can only do so once the child is born.

Once born you can apply to the childrens court for you to have parental rights to look after the child.

It will be very difficult to prove that the child is being prejudiced at this stage and no court will take it that far. There is also no caselaw to this effect thus far.

My view is that one should try and get councilling involved and see whether this assist your daughter to act responsibly until the child is born.

Please ask more if not clear.